UID

Creators Team Member

Candy

「ColorOS Tutorial」 Gboard Tips, Tricks & Secrets: Advanced (Part 2)

View:16037    Reply:29 | Posted at 10-6-2020 12:02:13 | Display all floors | Copy
This post was edited by BhaveshP at 10-6-2020 12:02

Hello ColorOS SuperFans,

Read part-1 here. In part-1, I've collected some basic Gboard tips, tricks & secrets.

INTRODUCTION

GBoard-MainArt.jpg

Gboard has included Search, AI and a ton of innovations which gives you a better typing experience. But the problem is that most of the features are hidden or not visible to a regular user. So, you need to deep dive into some of its advanced options in settings to get its full potential. In this tutorial, I'll throw some light on those hidden advanced features of Gboard. You can even say that those are some of the Gboard's secret tips, tricks & secrets for Android.

QUICK CAPITALIZATION OF A SPECIFIC LETTER

Whenever you're typing out an acronym like MBBS/ColorOS, Gboard has a hidden shortcut that makes that easy to do: touch your finger to the Shift key (i.e. the up-facing arrow to the left of the "Z") and instead of letting go, keep your finger down and swipe over to whatever letter you want. That letter will come through capitalized, and the keyboard will then automatically switch back to lowercase when you let go.

gboard (2).jpg

USE TEXT EDITING MODE

If you ever tried to edit the text in Android, especially if that text is very long, you should know it is not an easy task. Gboard offers a text editing mode to solve this problem.
Whenever you need to use the text editing mode, just tap on the "..." menu in the suggestion bar, and chose to "Text Editing" icon. In this mode, you can easily travel between words or sentences using the arrow keys.

gboard (1).jpg

DELETE SUGGESTED WORDS

If you are unhappy with a suggested word, then you can delete the suggestion and opt not to see it again using this trick. You can long-press a suggested word and drag it to the trash icon to delete it from the suggestions.

gboard (3).jpg

ADD SHORTCUTS FOR WORDS (PERSONAL DICTIONARY)

The personal dictionary a very effective feature for typing faster.

While adding words to your personal dictionary, you can also add shortcuts for those words, and even add phrases. Then when you are typing on the keyboard, you can type in the shortcut and you will see the word or the phrase appearing as a suggestion. Just click it and it is typed. For example, I have added "ColorOS 7" as a shortcut to "c7". So when I type, c7, Gboard suggests ColorOS 7.

You can add words to your personal dictionary by going to the Gboard's Settings > Dictionary > "Personal dictionary" > your language and click the + button.

gboard (4).jpg
gboard (5).jpg

USE THE SPACEBAR AS A TRACKPAD

Gboard offers an easy way to move the cursor. Just drag your finger across the spacebar, and the location of the cursor will change based on the length of the swipe. This is particularly useful if you've forgotten a letter or misspelled a word, because it makes it incredibly easy to go back.

UN-BLOCK OFFENSIVE WORDS

Some may like the fact that Gboard blocks offensive words by default, but others may want to deactivate this option and disable the censorship. To do that, head to the "Text correction" section in Gboard's main menu, then disable "Block offensive words.

TYPE FRACTIONS
If you ever need to type a fraction, just long-press any number in Gboard. The pop-up menu will show you a list of common fractions that use the long-pressed number as a numerator, so for example, long-pressing the number 1 will display options like ½ and ¼. The fractions will be entered into any text input field as the actual unicode symbol for that value.

gboard (6).jpg

DELETE A WORD WITH ONE SWIPE

Another great convenience feature with Gboard is the ability to quickly delete a word by swiping left from the backspace button. A quick, short swipe will delete the last word you typed.

DELETE SENTENCES WITH ONE SWIPE

The swipe-to-delete feature can be used to erase more than a single word at a time. By dragging your finger a greater distance from the backspace key, you can delete entire sentences with a single swipe.

A SIMPLE WAY TO UNDO ACCIDENTAL ERASING

If you erased a word/sentences using the above trick and then realize you deleted more than you wanted, don't worry: There's a simple way to get your words back.
After using Gboard's slide-to-erase shortcut, look in the suggestion bar directly above the keyboard. Everything you erased will appear there — but only briefly, until you start to type something else.

gboard (8).jpg

USING GOOGLE KEYBOARD TO MANAGE CLIPBOARD

If you are using Gboard, you do not need to rely on any 3rd party app to manage your clipboard.
Go to "..." menu, you can notice a “Clipboard” option. Just tap on it.

For the first time, you will be asked to enable the clipboard. But, once you turn it on, you can easily see your clipboard history after you copy a text.

gboard (7).jpg

CONCLUSION

That is all about the various tips and tricks for Gboard. I hope these will help you achieve greater typing speed and superior typing experience on Android. In my opinion, Gboard is currently the best keyboard available for Android. Beyond the features mentioned above, other options, such as a calculator-formatted number screen and easy access to special characters make it a joy to use. To put it simply, if you want a keyboard that does it all, you've definitely found it in Gboard.

Thanks for reading my article, Follow me on @BhaveshP

UID

Lv2.Plastic

Candy
Posted at 30-6-2020 03:47:30 FromMobile phone | Display all floors
Dark mode
UID

Lv2.Plastic

Candy
Posted at 30-6-2020 03:47:35 FromMobile phone | Display all floors
Dark mode
UID

Lv2.Plastic

Candy
Posted at 30-6-2020 03:47:32 FromMobile phone | Display all floors
Dark mode

Comments

LonMongkoll: Dark mode  Posted at 30-6-2020 03:47
LonMongkoll: Dark mode  Posted at 30-6-2020 03:47
UID

Lv2.Plastic

Candy
Posted at 30-6-2020 15:29:57 FromCPH1809Mobile phone | Display all floors
Plzzz sir a5 update
UID

Lv2.Plastic

Candy
Posted at 30-6-2020 18:03:49 FromCPH1969Mobile phone | Display all floors
UID

Lv2.Plastic

Candy
Posted at 30-6-2020 22:03:34 FromMobile phone | Display all floors
Oppoa37f Update
UID

Lv2.Plastic

Candy
Posted at 30-6-2020 23:01:28 | Display all floors
useless if your phone is not updated like oppo a3s why would i buy though stupid oppo
UID

Lv2.Plastic

Candy
Posted at 1-7-2020 00:22:29 FromCPH1969Mobile phone | Display all floors
Agreed
UID

Lv2.Plastic

Candy
Posted at 1-7-2020 06:20:26 FromCPH1803Mobile phone | Display all floors
Thanks
123>
Return to list
You cannot reply without login Login | Register Now!

Point rules of this section

ColorOS Home/ColorOS Twitter/ColorOS Facebook/OPPO Home
2005-2020 OPPO copyright (Copyright@2013-2019 coloros.com, All Rights Reserved)
回复 Return to list Back to top