UID

Pre-Photo Club Member

Candy

Beta 5.0

「ColorOS Expert Advice」Tips for Great Food Flat Lay!

View:2809    Reply:0 | Posted at 27-11-2020 09:30:00 | Display all floors | Copy
This post was edited by the13megapixel at 28-11-2020 12:42

Hello ColorOS Fans

PicsArt_11-26-01.07.41.jpg

In previous article I have discussed the second part of“Ideas To Capture Awesome Flat lays,” where I have discussed about FoodPhotography and flat lays. So,today in this thread I am going to discuss with you some tips for capturinggreat food flat lays.

Incase, if you haven’t checked my last article, then I recommend you to throwsome glance at it- Ideas To Capture Awesome Flatlays! PART II

SinceI'm done with the formalities! Let's get started…

First thing first-

What Is Food Photography or Food Flat lay?
- Food photography is a still life photography genre used to create attractive still life photographs of food. It is a specialization of commercial photography, the products of which are used in advertisements, magazines, packaging, menus or cookbooks.
Whereas, a “flat lay” refers to an image with carefully arranged items shot directly from above. Food flat lays are particularly popular for two reasons: we love food and we love order. It’s a combination or food and eye-catching composition that attracts us instantly and satiates our soul.

LIGHTING:

Lighting in Food Flat lay is very crucial as foodlooks best in soft or diffuse light. Place your subject near a window toleverage the light from outside. Natural, overhead light is especiallyimportant in flat lay photography because you don’t want any shadows in yourshot. Artificial lights tend to cast the shape of your hand and camera over thescene.

1595507093098-01-01.jpeg

Here, youcan see that the lighting is well-balanced and it's shot in natural lightingconditions.

BACKGROUND:

Choosing a background that compliments the theme and the main subjectis a crucial thing. Therefore, choosing a simple background is the safestoption. A plain background will work perfectly and will also not distract yourprops or the subject. Backgrounds like wooden tables, the wooden floors willadd a different texture to the picture, depending on the subject.
Also one should make sure that the background is not shiny or glossy as thesebackgrounds will provide unwanted reflections, which will ultimately disturbthe image. Backgrounds with some kind of textures and patterns can also addatmosphere to the photograph.

PicsArt_10-10-01.44.45.jpg

Here, youcan see that I have used a textured background and have used some unusual propsand along with some spice as some extra elements. And you can see that thebackground is nicely complementing the subject.

EXPERIMENT WITH APERTURE:

Most flat lays have deep Depth of Field, which keepsthe whole shot in focus. To achieve this classic flat lay look, set your camerato aperture priority or manual mode and choose narrower apertures like F5.6 -F11. If you want to emphasize items of different heights or focus in on oneitem, shoot with wider apertures, like F1.8 - F2.8, to create artisticallydefocused backgrounds or props.

PicsArt_11-26-01.25.11.jpg

Here, you can seethat, subjects in the frame are in focused and the plant used is blurred out.

COLOR SCHEME:

Themore shapes and sizes you integrate into your image, the more dynamic it willbe. But when it comes to colors, less is more. Nothing ruins a flat lay like aclashing color scheme. Try choosing two or three harmonious, complementarycolors.

PicsArt_11-24-06.20.08.jpg

Here, you can see that I have kept only two colorschemes- white and brown.

FILL THE FRAME:

Whilescattering items in your scene, feel free to go outside the frame. Place largeitems right at the edge. This technique adds interest and makes viewers thinkabout what's going on out of view.

Pink-Waffles0329.jpg

Here, you can see that a part of the props used in theframe is cropped or out of the frame. This creates a sudden urge of interest inthe viewer.

CHOOSE A DIFFERENT ANGLE:

There are reallyonly a few camera angles in food photography that you see again and again, butyou need to make the one you choose, a conscious decision. Where you place thecamera will affect the type of story you’re trying to tell.
Think of the foodbeforehand. Its size, shape, height and what is unique about it. Then place thecamera where you think best highlights these qualities. Some dishes look greatwhen you shoot from right in front of the food, and others are best suited whenthe you are looking down from directly above the table. Take a look at thecupcakes below; their spiraled and delicate toppings really stand out when shotfrom in front, yet the viewer doesn’t even see the size or shape whenphotographed from above.
Below, I havedisplayed two pictures of same setup demonstrating the ‘Different Angle’ point.

PicsArt_10-31-11.25.35.jpg

Here, the shot wastaken from above, with tea and biscuits in frame along with relevant props.
PicsArt_11-24-06.47.01.jpg

This shot is taken from the verysame setup as in the above picture.

Taking your foodshots out of the kitchen, and on location, will allow you to create images withbeautiful outdoor scenic backgrounds. When shooting outdoors, always bring adiffuser or any diffusing material along with. Placing them in between thesubject and the sun diffuses any harsh light on the set.

diffusion_picnic-01.jpeg

(Source: Google)

Here is a picture demonstrating,shoot in the outdoors along with diffuser and without a diffuser.

This is for today guys. Show some love if you really liked this thread,also tell me which one among these is your favorite. Also, share yoursuggestions in the comment section; on what you would like me to write. Ifthere is any query feel free to DM me.

In the next thread I will be discussing about editing in reddish tones.
Till then, Stay tuned.
Follow me @the13megapixel formore informative articles. Also follow me on instagram @the13megapixel for amazing photography content.
I would also love to thank @Amit_T for helping me with all my queries.
Signing out,
Anikesh
Stay Home, Stay Safe.

Anikesh Banik
You cannot reply without login Login | Register Now!

Point rules of this section

ColorOS Home/ColorOS Twitter/ColorOS Facebook/OPPO Home
2005-2021 OPPO copyright (Copyright@2013-2019 coloros.com, All Rights Reserved)
回复 Return to list Back to top